May 25, 2012

The Cliff walk

I finished one of the books that I read today. This book told me the story of the author who belong to a middle class family in America. He was a professor in English, married with three children and currently his wife was pregnant when he received his pink slip. It was really a great blow to him because as a father, he was expected to provide the needs of his family. Unfortunately, due to the economic recession in America, he couldnt find any job which was the same with the previous one. As a result, he was depressed and his confidence hit the bottom. The story ended when he became a construction worker yet he was happy of it because he found the grace and dignity of that job.

When I finished this book, I began to relate it to the plight of workers in the Philippines. According to the new statistics there were 13.8 million people who are jobless. Today, some college graduates cannot find a job. I really wonder if the K+12 education system is applicable nowadays. Majority of the parents send their children to school to study so that someday they can find a job to support their living. But with this situation, is it important to extend the number of years just to study in a school?

I hope that our government made a good decision with this law.

No comments:

Post a Comment